Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The Park Is Open

First of all, let's all revisit this and revel in how rad it is:


The first Jurassic Park flick is one of my all-time favorites, and I even enjoy the cheeze of the sequels on occasion.  That slowed-down version of the theme in the above trailer gives me chills. I am looking forward to this more than I'm looking forward to Avengers 2. I understand this probably makes me a bad nerd, but it's true.

One thing that immediately struck me about the trailer (as it apparently did many others) was the scene with Chris Pratt's character riding out with the raptors. When I first saw it, I assumed they were all running from their common enemy... that the raptors would be attacking him otherwise. "What could be so terrifying that even raptors are running from it?" I asked. Eventually as more information came out, I learned that this was not the most likely explanation.


I'm a bit late to the party, but this thread on reddit brings up an awesome explanation that makes perfect sense, especially combined with the other elements of the trailer. If you haven't already read it or seen it referenced elsewhere, the original poster refers to this conversation from the original novel:

“The dinosaurs we have now are real,” Wu said, pointing to the screens around the room, “but in certain ways they are unsatisfactory. Unconvincing. I could make them better.”
“Better in what way?”
“For one thing, they move too fast,” Henry Wu said. “People aren’t accustomed to seeing large animals that are so quick. I’m afraid visitors will think the dinosaurs look speeded up, like film running too fast.”
“But, Henry, these are real dinosaurs. You said so yourself."
“I know,” Wu said. “But we could easily breed slower, more domesticated dinosaurs.”
“Domesticated dinosaurs?” Hammond snorted. “Nobody wants domesticated dinosaurs, Henry. They want the real thing.”
“But that’s my point,” Wu said. “I don’t think they do. They want to see their expectation, which is quite different.... I’m just saying, why stop there? Why not push ahead to make exactly the kind of dinosaur that we’d like to see? One that is more acceptable to visitors, and one that is easier for us to handle? A slower, more docile version for our park?”
Hammond frowned. “But then the dinosaurs wouldn’t be real.”
“But they’re not real now,” Wu said.
That bit of dialogue is such a core part of the original novel, and the real battle of Man vs. Nature that Jurassic Park  is all about. Keeping wild, dangerous animals in zoos and safari parks can certainly be controversial, but it's obviously not impossible; humanity has been doing it for millenia. Actually tinkering with a creatures genetic code for your own profit and amusement... now THAT is another thing entirely. This new film seems set to focus even more on that than the first did, which I'm excited to see. Bringing back Dr. Wu, talking about the creation of another dinosaur... I know I'm hardly the first person on the internet to discuss this stuff (see above), but I still find it fun and fascinating.

Additional Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment